DIY: Fleece Bonnet
We recently had Quinn baptized in the same little cap that Clare wore a few years ago for her baptism. I was reminded that I love this style baby hat and decided to try one on my own using a more functional fabric. I added a ruffle, which makes this ultra girly, but this style could definitely work for a boy, sans ruffle.
Get the DIY after the jump.
Print out the pattern.
1. I traced the 3 pieces used to make the hat onto pattern tracing material. (My mother-in-law calls it "Do-Sew.") Add a 1/4" seam allowance all around.
2. Pin your pattern to your fabric. You need 2 mirrored pieces of the side pattern and one piece of the back.
3. Cut your pattern
4. Pin the side pieces of the hat together with fabric back facing out (it doesn't matter with solid fleece) and sew along the curved edge (top)
5. Open the hat and pin the back in place. Be sure to pin the top seam open. Sew all the way around.
6. Cut two strips of fleece. 1.5" wide x 25" long.
7. Fold one in half and pin the middle to the top brim of hat. This will be your ruffle.
8. Work your way down the sides of the brim folding and pinning ruffles as you go.
9. Sew the ruffle to the hat. As you can see, this version has a raw edge. Half because I like the way it looks, half laziness. With a small seam, it would look more finished.
10. Fold the second piece of fleece in half, the long way, as you pin it around the bottom (neck) of cap. Cut off the excess and fold the ends under just a bit.
11. Sew in place. I did a double seam.
12. With your excess trim make your neck strap. Fold in half and sew along length. Turn inside-out for a more finished look. I left mine with the raw edge showing.
13. Sew neck strap to one side of hat at inside corner with folded side facing out.
14. Try hat on baby and check length of neck strap. Trim, leaving enough to fold over end. Try not to make baby cry.
15. Add velcro to end of strap and opposite inside corner of hat. Use the soft side of the velcro inside hat. And that's it!
No babies were injured in the making of this hat.